Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
April 10 New Rider Clinic by CKC/H4TC
Learn to ride with
confidence & safety
at this New Rider Clinic!
New or new-ish to cycling? Want to participate in fun rides like Head 4 The Cure and Lone Star Century and feel at ease doing so? Maybe you just want to sharpen your skills so you're a more confident, safer trail and road cyclist? Then you'll want to attend the New Rider & Traffic Skills Clinic powered by Cycling KC & Head 4 The Cure!
This is a beginner-to-intermediate skills clinic (we'll meet you at YOUR skill level) taught by League of American Bicyclists Certified Instructors. You'll ride away with the knowledge you need to be safer, and more confident and comfortable on your bike. The clinic is only $7 if you pre-register, $10 onsite; proceeds go to helping you stay safer on your bike! Sign up now because space is limited to 50 riders! Here's a sampling of what you'll learn depending on your comfort/skills level at the start of the clinic:
For solo riding:
- Visibility - bright clothing, lighting, etc.
- What's on you / your bike / your saddlebag: what to carry and why
- ABC Quick Check
- Mounting/Dismounting (leaning your bike vs. swinging your leg over)
- Starting/Stopping (Power Push - why and how to!)
- Who yields to whom?
- Happy Trails to You: Verbal call-outs, blind corner approaches, slick and 4-legged hazards, speeds
- How to ride safely and responsibly in heavy traffic
- The importance of scanning & signaling
- Lane changing and positioning — where in the lane should you be?
- When to take the lane — and when not to!
- Braking safely and emergency stops
- Riding no more than two abreast: why?!
- Physics of your body on the bike and how to use your body weight (or lean) to turn quickly, properly and avoid obstacles
- Gearing for fun and ease
- Tire inflation
- Chain and brake maintenance
- Crossing obstacles like railroad tracks and other road hazards
- Traffic rules and their importance
And for group riding:
- Proper distance to/from other riders - just say no to wheel overlap
- What to do if you bump wheels
- How to safely pass other riders
- Why weaving is for macramé - holding your line
- Braking properly (and giving verbal and hand signals for braking/stops, passing, holding, etc)
- Calling out obstacles / traffic and other hazards
- Safety in and around traffic, being vocal, eye contact with drivers, etc.
- Traffic rules and their importance
You'll finish this clinic with a solid foundation of knowledge for responsible, safe, predictable cycling. You only need your bike (in good working order - and remember to air up your tires), your helmet and a willingness to learn. We will do individual skills and a short, easy group ride at this clinic. No rider left behind, so no worries! Mission Farms is right next door, so it's also convenient to grab dinner afterward. Sorry as space is limited, we cannot offer refunds.
Ages: 13 and Over. Under 18 must be accompanied by parent or guardian.
- Toss your bike and clothes in the car and leave straight from work to arrive by 5:45pm if possible! Clinic runs from 6-8pm, Tuesday, April 10th, Leawood Park (Lee Blvd and Mission Road near 435) in the parking lot near the pool
- To sign up for your Traffic Skills / New Rider Clinic, hit the Register Now button at the top right of this page.
This clinic is powered by your friends at:
Tuesday, April 10, 2018
Leawood Park Pool off Mission Road & Lee Blvd - Will stage in parking lot near pool
Leawood, KS 64116
Helmets required and make sure your bike is in good mechanical condition. Bring bike lights if you have them; if you don't know what to shop for, we'll have recommendations for you. Sorry no refunds, space is limited!
(Click the down-arrow to the left of the activity/item to view the details)
New Rider & Traffic Skills Clinics Powered by Cycling KC & Head 4 The Cure!